Sunday, June 17, 2007

Avoidance Dance

I was thinking of the word avoidance and realized if you added an extra d to the middle of the word you would have “avoid dance”. I thought this described exactly what I have been doing. I dance around flitting from one thing to the next so I can avoid the hard work of exercise, writing or a certain project. Where I notice the dance most is in my time with God. I am dancing away from Him because I don’t want to hear His words. I am afraid to hear what He is thinking about me or confused with what he might want me to do. By doing the “avoidance dance” I am missing the intimacy with God that brings healing and deep joy to my heart and life.

If I would step out in faith, hand my dance card to God and grab a hold of Him, I could experience Him leading me through a waltz of beauty and grace. Or I could line up in His will and feel the rhythm of a swing dance. What a breathless wonder it would be to do the twirls and know God will catch me before I spin off out of control.

1 comment:

deAnn Alyse said...

AWESOME!!! Love the "avoid dance" and the concept of slowing down (avoid dancing from one thing to another)...love it! I definately need to "avoid dancing" too - love,deAnn